A large Arkansas library needed help to increase their storage capacity in an extremely cramped basement. They turned to Southwest Solutions Group for assistance. The solution: a floorless mobile shelving system, specially designed to maximize every inch of space.
The library stores a mix of archive magazines, newspapers, and extra books in the basement. When a new popular book comes out, they will order extra copies and keep them on hand to send out to smaller libraries. Unfortunately, the library was quickly running out of storage space, and the old cantilever type shelving just wasn’t enough to meet their storage needs. On top of that, the space in the basement was extremely cramped due to low ceilings, overhead pipes, HVAC, etc.
The library’s director knew that something needed to be done to increase storage capacity, so he reached out to the architect who handles all projects for their building. The architect had worked with Southwest Solutions Group’s Justin Story numerous times and contacted him for help. When Justin met with the library director and architect, he knew a floorless mobile shelving system was the perfect solution to their storage problem.
Why the Floorless Mobile Shelving System was the Best Solution
Justin measured and designed around all the obstructions to ensure every inch was maximized. The system has two 9 foot surface mount rails, with 14 mobile shleving rows and 3 stationary rows. Each of the mobile shelving rows has three 36 inch wide units, and uses 20 inch deep four-post shelves. In addition, the back wall is lined with shelving. Overall, the new floorless mobile shelving system increased the library’s storage capacity by 100% in the basement. And since the system is completely made of steel, it’s going to last for 35-40 years.
Given that the basement has the potential to get wet and/or flood, a floorless system works well beause there is no wood ramp or floor. By eliminating all the wood you would typically find on a mobile shelving system (the floor, ramp, and end panels), Justin reduced their risk of water damage and prevented any off gassing potential (plywood and particle board has Formaldehyde in it that off gasses and can damage paper products).
Learn More About What a Floorless Mobile Shelving System Can Do for Your Library
Southwest Solutions Group® designs and installs floorless mobile shelving systems for all types of libraries. To learn more about this project or to speak with the specialist in your area, call 1-800-803-1083 or send a message.
View Image Gallery
- book shelving divider library storage book shelving divider library storage
- book stacks library shelving storage book stacks library shelving storage
- end panels shelving library book end panels shelving library book
- laminate end panels media shelving laminate end panels media shelving
- library book shelves dividers reference library book shelves dividers reference
- library book stacks shelving shelves library book stacks shelving shelves
- media drawers dvd shelving reference media drawers dvd shelving reference
- periodical tilt shelving display library periodical tilt shelving display library
- reference library shelving book storage reference library shelving book storage
- reference library storage book perioidcal reference library storage book perioidcal
- school reference library stores book school reference library stores book
- tilit shelving library storage display tilit shelving library storage display
- tilt shelf library periodical display tilt shelf library periodical display