High Bay Shelving Stores University Archives
A historical university’s collection of archives and regional history includes books, journals, archives, monographics, and bound periodicals that date back to the 1700s. Parts of the collection were stored across three different buildings, making accessing items a challenge. To solve their problems, the university constructed a new building and installed high bay mobile shelving. The new building and specialized shelving has helped to preserve the collection and ensure items are easily accessible.
Why the University Needed Better Storage for the Historical Archives Collection
Previously, the collection was stored in three different buildings including an old gymnasium. The multiple locations made accessing the archives a challenge for students, faculty and researchers. Library staff often found themselves escorting researchers all over campus to find what they needed. In addition to the accessibility barriers, the conditions of these facilities were not ideal. Since the original buildings were never intended to be libraries, there were issues with temperature and humidity control.
Moving all of the collections under one roof made the most sense to improve accessibility and better preserve stored items. It also made a great deal of economic sense for the university, because they were maintaining some very outdated buildings. To keep building costs down and ensure the space was optimized, high bay mobile shelving was chosen to house the collection.
How the High Bay Shelving Stores the Collection
The new building is climate-controlled, with temperature regulated by a geothermal heating and cooling unit and built with a vapor barrier to keep out moisture. The high bay mobile shelving installed features 201 specially-designed sections of shelving that are 34 feet high which equate to approximately 15 lineal miles of storage. The shelving houses 450,000 book volumes and 25,000 archive record boxes and can move 180 tons of weight with the push of a button.
The installation of high bay mobile shelving within the new building has allowed the university to keep the materials in an ideal environment, which is more efficient for the faculty, students and researchers. Staff will be able to access research materials quickly and get them to the patrons in a much more reasonable amount of time.
Contact Us for High Bay Mobile Shelving for Your Collection
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for high bay mobile shelving. SSG will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.
View Image Gallery
- archive library storage shelving high archive library storage shelving high
- high bay compact storage university... high bay compact storage university...
- high bay library storage box high bay library storage box
- high bay stack shelving offsite... high bay stack shelving offsite...
- high bay stacks library storage high bay stacks library storage
- high bay storage archive collection high bay storage archive collection
- installation high bay stack library installation high bay stack library
- installation mobile high bay storage installation mobile high bay storage
- library archive stacks shelving library archive stacks shelving
- library archives boxed categorized for library archives boxed categorized for
- library archives loading into high library archives loading into high
- library stacks archives storage shelving library stacks archives storage shelving
- mobile high bay archival shelving mobile high bay archival shelving
- mobile high bay library storage mobile high bay library storage
- mobile high bay storage university mobile high bay storage university
- mobile library stacks high bay mobile library stacks high bay
- mobile shelving mobile library shelving mobile shelving mobile library shelving
- rfid reader library archives warehouse rfid reader library archives warehouse