The Rising Cost of School Textbooks
Did you know K-12 school districts spend over $8 billion dollars a year on textbooks? Just Texas alone spends about $500 million. Rising at twice the rate of inflation, print textbook prices nearly tripled from 1986 to 2004. And in 2010 the average cost per textbook was $65.1 With all that money spent on textbooks, it’s more important than ever for your school to have a solution for improving textbook storage. And we have exactly what you need: high capacity shelving.
Textbook Storage Challenges School’s Face
Many schools face difficult challenges managing and storing textbooks including:
- Textbooks are sent over from the district book depository continuously throughout the year.
- Everyone is involved in textbook management (principals, teachers, administrative staff, etc.).
- There’s a “never throw anything away” mindset.
- Textbook rooms are generally small and have limited space.
Solving These Problems with High Capacity Shelving
High capacity shelving helps alleviate these pain points. First of all, the shelving centralizes textbook storage. Everything you need is kept in your textbook room. This solves the problem of textbooks popping up in various locations throughout your school.
And because the textbooks are stored in one central location, they’re easier to manage and track during the school year. It’s also a much easier process for taking inventory at the beginning and end of each school year.
Finally, the biggest advantage to high capacity shelving is the increased storage capacity in less floor space. When compared to static shelves or cabinets, high capacity shelving stores all your textbooks in 50 percent of the floor space. In effect, you can double the amount of textbooks stored in the room or use the recouped floor space for other activities.
Special Features of the High Capacity Shelving
In addition to centralizing textbook storage and maximizing floor space, there are additional features of high capacity shelving that make it the best choice:
- The three-spoke handle is easy to operate, requiring very little effort from the user.
- The shelving is available in numerous sizes to fit any textbook room.
- The steel shelves can be quickly adjusted to accommodate any size textbooks.
- End panels come in a wide selection of colors.
- Optional cardholders for indexing indicate which books are stored in each aisle.
Contact Us for Help Improving Your School’s Textbook Storage
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for high capacity shelving to K-12 schools for textbook storage. We will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.