University Needs to Store Over a Million Books in New Library
When a local university built a new library, they needed an efficient way to store over a million volumes of books. The university wanted to minimize construction requirements yet provide ample reading and work areas for students. To meet these demands the university incorporated compact moveable shelving in both the main open stack areas and staff support areas of the library.
Challenges the University Faced Designing the Library
Previously, the university used three buildings to house the library collection. Books were shelved on 17 floors and were classified under two systems. Another addition to the existing buildings would have caused more havoc to the library.
Also, the way patrons use the library has changed. Demand for the availability of paper copies in the library is still there, but has significantly declined. Researchers and students can now find most of what they need, whether its full-text books or journal articles, online. And only rarely do they need the physical paper copy.
The best solution for the university to meet its needs was to build one efficient, up-to-date library that would expand seating and work space, and use compact moveable shelving to house the entire book collection.
Compact Moveable Shelving Gives Library Ample Space for Work Areas
Powered compact moveable shelving systems, equipped with state-of-the-art safety systems, provided the security needed in 24-hour open access areas. In the main library there are a total of 37 miles of moveable shelving. In the main stacks, occupying three and one-half floors, there are 381 moveable shelving ranges. On other floors are additional systems in the staff support areas storing microfilm/microfiche and audiovisual equipment.
Because the university used compact moveable shelving for book storage, there was enough space for tables and 3,000 seats, 600 computer carrels, and 57 group work rooms – all things the university wanted in its new library.
Contact Us for Compact Moveable Shelving in Your University’s Library
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for compact moveable shelving. SSG will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.
- book shelving divider library storage book shelving divider library storage
- book stacks library shelving storage book stacks library shelving storage
- end panels shelving library book end panels shelving library book
- laminate end panels media shelving laminate end panels media shelving
- library book shelves dividers reference library book shelves dividers reference
- library book stacks shelving shelves library book stacks shelving shelves
- media drawers dvd shelving reference media drawers dvd shelving reference
- periodical tilt shelving display library periodical tilt shelving display library
- reference library shelving book storage reference library shelving book storage
- reference library storage book perioidcal reference library storage book perioidcal
- school reference library stores book school reference library stores book
- tilit shelving library storage display tilit shelving library storage display
- tilt shelf library periodical display tilt shelf library periodical display