Best practices for energy records management
The most challenging industry for records management is without a doubt the energy industry. Due to the increasing governmental regulations, the changing environment of both the industry and general business practices, and the increasing push to transition to "hybrid" records, it can be difficult to stay on top of compliance and good document management practices. This article will describe some compliant digital document management and scanning practices specifically for energy industries. Learn more about high-speed document scanning services.
energy document scanning & digital document management
If your energy company is considering a transition to a hybrid office that uses both paper and electronic documents, you will need to make sure that you have an effective document management process in place beforehand. Here are some helpful tips to avoiding common pitfalls when transitioning to a paperless business:
- Avoid the "all-or-nothing" approach. Most companies have too many records to completely digitize and do nothing as a result. However, digitizing even just some of your most frequently used documents can help you see huge improvements in productivity, efficiency, regulatory compliance, and more.
- Identify your official records. Especially when considering a move to a hybrid office, it's imperative that you establish which documents are the official records, especially since the energy industry is so heavily regulated.
- Purge unnecessary documents. Scanning and converting your documents will be much easier once you have identified your official records and purged other copies, drafts, and non-records. In addition, keeping unnecessary copies after their administrative need has expired leaves your company vulnerable to non-compliance.
- Standardize formats for your official records. Establishing a standard format will make it easier to keep control over official documents throughout their lifecycles. When standardizing these documents, keep in mind the industry-wide standards the energy industry has established.
- Now you can start planning your imaging project. Carefully consider which records you will scan and how these records will be managed once they are digitized. Keep in mind not only energy-related standards but also standards of other sectors such as legal jurisdictions.
- Compliant digital document management and scanning software and services are available to help you. Scanning records yourself means training your staff and ensuring that you're in complete regulatory compliance. Outsourcing a compliant scanning staff to scan, index, and upload your records for you may be the most efficient way to get your documents digitized.
contact us for Compliant Digital Document Management Scanning Practices for Energy Industries
Southwest Solutions Group® provides compliant digital document management consultation and scanning services for energy industries. SSG will even scan, index, and upload a box of your records for free so you can try our services before you buy. CJIS and HIPPA compliant scanning services are available onsite or offsite and available on a GSA scheduling contract. For more information or to speak with a specialist on information management for energy industries, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.