Mobile Storage System Store Collection Specimens
The natural history museum at a prestigious university specializing in anthropology, paleontology, and zoology opened a new environmental science center. To maximize space and improve collection storage, the museum used compact mobile storage systems. Additionally, special features were added to the systems to enhance collection safety. Click here to learn more about high density mobile shelving.
Compact Mobile Storage Systems Save 50% of Storage Space
Anytime a new facility is built at a university, campus space becomes a major issue. By using compact mobile storage systems instead of conventional storage methods, the museum was able to cut storage space in half by shrinking 40,000 sq. ft. of storage into 17,000 sq. ft. Because the museum reduced their overall building space, they saved on utility costs associated with building maintenance.
7.5 Million Collection Specimens Housed in Compact Mobile Storage Systems
The compact mobile storage systems used on three floors of the building house more than 7.5 million specimens – with some specimens that date back 2 billion years – across multiple disciplines including botany, entomology, herpetology, ichthyology, invertebrate paleontology, invertebrate zoology, mammalogy, ornithology, and paleobotony. Some of the special features added to the compact mobile storage system include:
- Cases with drawers and trays for small specimens like bird and mammal skins, and fossil shells.
- Wide-span shelving for large taxidermy mounts and fossil tree stumps.
- Heavy-duty, four-post shelving with reinforced supports for over-sized fossil storage.
- Specialty shelving bins for fluid-preserved collections.
- Cantilever shelving with glass doors for rare books and manuscripts.
- Powder coat paint on drawer glides to minimize particulate sloughing and vibration.
- Gasketing was added to the parameter of open shelves to ensure a constant seal when aisles are closed.
Overall the compact mobile storage system contributed to the design goal of separating collection space from people space so that specimen storage could be better controlled. And because of the amount of storage space that was saved using the compact mobile storage systems, the museum was able to combine several departments into one facility, fostering a more interdisciplinary work environment.
Contact Us for Compact Mobile Storage Systems for Your Museum
Southwest Solutions Group® offers design and installation service for compact mobile storage systems to save space and protect museum collections. SSG will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.