New Museum Resource Center Requires Unique Storage Solutions
When a natural history museum outgrew its collections space, it built a new resource center. The facility drove the need for storage solutions tailored specifically to match the museum’s needs as both a collections repository and a premier research facility. The resulting specially designed solutions, including compact movable aisle storage systems helped to create a state-of-the-art facility that sets the standard in museum collections and research.
Needs of the Museum for Collection Storage & Research
The museum’s resource center houses 2.2 million objects and specimens used throughout the museum’s Anthropology, Geology, and Zoology departments. The facility also serves as a working laboratory for researchers and scientists who study collections on site.
- protect and preserve collections
- match the unique storage needs of different types of collections
- incorporate existing storage systems
- maximize storage capacity while maintaining accessibility
- ensure the safety of employees and visiting researchers
- accommodate evolving collections and future growth
A Unique Mix of Storage Solutions Designed for the Museum
Strategically designed solutions were installed to meet the various goals of the museum. The result is a unique mix of systems that include:
- Compact movable aisle storage systems with an array of shelving, trays and cabinetry configurations of varied dimensions, as well as pullout drawers, trays and art racks.
- Fixed shelving of virtually every grade, style and load capacity.
- Bulk and pallet racking with varied weight load capacities and heavy-duty cantilevered shelving for oversized objects.
- Uniquely designed vertical storage racks and custom sliding art panels.
In total, the museum was able to re-use 15,000 existing shelves and 250 cabinets.
Impact of the Compact Movable Aisle Storage Systems
The advanced storage systems achieve the overriding goal of protecting history. In particular, the compact movable aisle storage systems feature numerous enhancements designed specifically to protect the collections. These included:
- synchronous drive carriage systems to guard against vibration without compromising efficient use
- customized drives that provide balanced movement even under unbalanced loads
- reduced gear ratios for controlled movement
- recessed anti-tip rails to provide stability
- all-wheel guides
- inert paint finishes
- systems in the wet collections area feature leak detection sensors
Contact Us for Help Storing and Protecting Your Museum’s Collection
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for storage solutions including compact movable aisle storage that will protect your museum’s collections. We will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.