Improving Evidence Storage Efficiencies in New Facility
A police department uses compact mobile shelving for evidence storage to save space and improve organization. After 40 years in the same building, the police department was overcrowded and out of space. When it received funding to build a new facility, police personnel took the opportunity to evaluate the most efficient methods of storage and designed a state-of-the-art property and evidence operation.
Why Proper Evidence Storage Was So Important to The Police Department
Property and evidence management is a critical aspect of law enforcement, which is why it was important in the new facility to make sure they had a well-managed, organized property area that would maintain the integrity of case evidence. The project manager for new facility construction and support services lieutenant in charge of evidence, was very careful in planning his design.
After significant field research evaluating other evidence storage operations and solutions, he created an evidence room that features a unique container storage strategy and a compact mobile shelving system – all contained within a secured access vault.
When evidence is submitted, property officers put it in a container (box, bin or envelop), assign a barcode number, place it on a shelf, and then enter the location into the computer system. Envelopes are stored in custom designed bins on stationary shelving in numerical order. If the case involves many items or larger items, they are stored together in a large cardboard box. The boxes are placed on the compact mobile shelving in dated, sequential order.
It was the department’s priority to have a space efficient storage area and to improve productivity by speeding up property retrieval times. This was accomplished by using the compact mobile system in conjunction with the new process for assigning and storing evidence.
Compact Mobile Shelving Saves Space and Money
The compact mobile shelving in the evidence room saved the police department 1,200 square feet and approximately $50,000 in new construction costs. Originally, when the architect did a space assessment, he estimated 10,000 square feet of space was needed for property and evidence work and storage areas. By using compact mobile shelving and new inventory methods, the department only needed a total 3,500 square feet of space.
Compact Mobile Shelving Improves Productivity and Saves Time
Previously, the department had 14-foot-high stationary shelving. Whenever they ran out of space, more shelving more shelving was added, which led to several adjacent storage rooms of evidence. Property officers had to do a lot of walking to retrieve an item and because so many items were stored up high, they often had to wheel a ladder around the room to gain access, which was very cumbersome and time consuming.
The compact mobile system speeds property retrieval time by minimizing walking distances, keeping things at reachable height, and aiding in locating dated evidence. The oldest case evidence is stored on the top shelves, while the newest evidence is stored in the middle and on the bottom. This system aids in retrieval because property officers know where to look for evidence based on the case date and places the most requested boxes in easy to access areas of the compact mobile shelving.
Contact Us for Compact Mobile Shelving at Your Police Department
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for compact mobile shelving for storing police department evidence. SSG will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.
View Image Gallery
- Artifacts Storage High Density Compact Artifacts Storage High Density Compact
- Bankers Box Powered HighDensity Storage Bankers Box Powered HighDensity Storage
- Bike Storage High Density Compact Bike Storage High Density Compact
- Compact Shelving High Density Football Compact Shelving High Density Football
- Evidence Storage High Density Compact Evidence Storage High Density Compact
- File Storage High Density Compact File Storage High Density Compact
- Firearms Storage High Density Compact Firearms Storage High Density Compact
- Football Helmet Locker Room High Football Helmet Locker Room High
- GiftShop Secure Storage Compact Shelving GiftShop Secure Storage Compact Shelving
- Hand Crank High Density Storage Hand Crank High Density Storage
- Hand Crank Push Button Storage Hand Crank Push Button Storage
- Hand Crank High Density Compact Hand Crank High Density Compact
- Hand Crank High Density File Hand Crank High Density File
- High Density Compact Shelving Golf High Density Compact Shelving Golf
- High Density Hand Crank File High Density Hand Crank File
- High Density Hand Crank Shelving High Density Hand Crank Shelving
- High Density Storage Powered Hand High Density Storage Powered Hand
- High Density Storage Powered Push High Density Storage Powered Push
- Military Weapons Storage High Density Military Weapons Storage High Density
- Motorcycle Storage Industrial High Density Motorcycle Storage Industrial High Density
- Office Filing Compact Storage High Office Filing Compact Storage High
- Powered Hand Crank High Density Powered Hand Crank High Density
- Powered Hand Crank Storage Safety Powered Hand Crank Storage Safety
- Powered High Density Storage Push Powered High Density Storage Push
- Powered High Density Storage Shelving Powered High Density Storage Shelving
- Push Button High Density Storage Push Button High Density Storage
- Push Button Powered Storage Push Button Powered Storage
- Safety Lock Hand Crank High Safety Lock Hand Crank High
- Safety Sensors High Density Storage Safety Sensors High Density Storage
- Spacesaver High Density Compact Shelving Spacesaver High Density Compact Shelving
- Textile Storage High Density Compact Textile Storage High Density Compact
- Tools Storage High Density Compact Tools Storage High Density Compact