Over the last 30 years, the role of public libraries has radically changed. What was once a building used to house and check out books, has now become a community space dedicated to meeting the many different needs of local residents. But reinventing the wheel takes a lot of planning, hard-work…and of course the right library furniture. (See more pictures of library furniture here.)
Planned Library Features to Engage the Community
We recently had the pleasure of working with a Dallas, TX area public library that was opening a new facility. Designed to be a modern, high-tech pillar of the community, the 52,570 square feet library includes a wide variety of areas to engage the community:
- A lab/maker center for teens to create music and movies
- Several tech-ready study areas for students and adults
- A meeting space for up to 250 people that can be divided into four different rooms
- An early childhood learning area
- Public computer areas and a computer lab
- Book and multi-media collection areas
- Quiet spaces for reading and studying
- A charging section for electronics
The Right Library Furniture Needed to Make These Spaces Work
To bring these areas to life, the library wanted to incorporate modern yet functional furniture. Since the main focus at the new facility is to provide digital educational services to local youth, the library furniture needed to include several outlets and easy access to electricity.
The architecture firm in charge of the project reached out to Greg Gawin, Southwest Solutions Group’s (SSG) Architectural Specialties Division Director, to discuss the project. Greg mentioned that SSG now offers library furniture in addition to our many other library storage systems and sent the head architect on the project a brochure.
After reviewing the numerous library furniture systems, the architect selected a wide range of computer desking with and without acrylic dividers; square and round tables outfitted with electrical outlets; and two comfortable seating chairs, one on casters for mobility.
The Furniture is Installed Throughout the New Public Library
Greg, along with Ray Streight (SSG’s President) and Collin Sanders (SSG sales representative), worked with the library to purchase the furniture under a TCPN contract. Once funding was approved and the library furniture was ordered, Greg, Ray, and Collin worked with the installers to arrange and set-up the library furniture.
The computer desking is used mainly in the public computer areas and in the computer lab. The square tables can be found throughout the quiet reading areas and private study rooms. The round tables are mainly in the early childhood learning area. And finally, the two comfortable seating chairs are also in the quiet reading area.
Since the library’s grand opening, community residents have reacted very positively to the new facility. While this technology filled building is a big change, it still offers patrons traditional features. At the cutting-edge of library services, it’s an incredible facility offering something for everyone.
Contact Us for Modern Library Furniture in Your Space
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design, planning, and installation services for library furniture to all types of libraries. We even offer a free consultation to determine your exact needs and specifications before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with the specialist in your area, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.
No videos available at this time
View Image Gallery
- archival shelving rare books archival shelving rare books
- black metal shelving law library black metal shelving law library
- book magazine storage shelving library book magazine storage shelving library
- book shelving library furniture book shelving library furniture
- cantilever public library counter high cantilever public library counter high
- carrels book shelving library furniture carrels book shelving library furniture
- counter book storage units counter book storage units
- counter shelving library storage counter shelving library storage
- law book storage shelving law book storage shelving
- law firm library book storage law firm library book storage
- legal firm library book shelving legal firm library book shelving
- library book shelving racks furniture library book shelving racks furniture
- library collections books storage shelving library collections books storage shelving
- library display media shelving library display media shelving
- library display reference materials shelving library display reference materials shelving
- library furniture study carrels wooden library furniture study carrels wooden
- library reference desk circulation modular library reference desk circulation modular
- library rolling ladder shelving library rolling ladder shelving
- mobile mechanical shelving magazines mobile mechanical shelving magazines
- public library index card drawers public library index card drawers
- reference desk modular casework furniture reference desk modular casework furniture
- reference library high compact shelving reference library high compact shelving
- spacesaver counter high book shelving spacesaver counter high book shelving
- steel shelving law firm book steel shelving law firm book
- wood library shelving books wood library shelving books