An oil operations company had recently experienced a phenomenal growth and, as a result, experienced heavy demands for geological and technical information. However, their storage system was inefficient and made information difficult to locate. The solution was to install electrical mobile storage systems, which would store well logs and files for the oil company more efficiently, in less space, and with more accessibility than their previous system.
challenges & design criteria
Prior to the company's move into new corporate headquarters, the oil company's information was divided among a number of locations; this made information retrieval difficult and time-consuming, along with causing a great deal of duplication. During the move to their new headquarters, part of the accessibility problem was solved by centralizing all technical information into two groups, which became the Well Information Library and the Technical Information Library. The Well Information Library held material related to actual oil and gas wells, including well logs, core analysis, and well histories. Requests for files ranged from 350 to 1,000 per day. The Technical Information Library collected all other types of reference materials, including books, magazines, and journals.
Shelving equipment previously used to house the two collections included a combination of static shelves with conventional aisles and a manual mobile shelving system. Because the mobile system was manual with no mechanical or electrical assist, they could be difficult to move when filled and were unsafe due to the drifting of the carriages, caused by the unevenness of the tracks and the lack of brakes or safety stops. The difficulties in moving the mobile units, the need to wedge items such as separator cards under the wheels to prevent drifting, and the rapid growth of their collection created an increase in filing and retrieval time. In addition, the shelving units were non-adjustable and caused ineffective use of space and fixed dividers often caused damage to the varying sized files.
The oil company's records management services group developed a detailed set of specifications based on the two different system. The first system, for the Well Information Library, had well logs that were of a smaller dimension than conventional files; as a result, shelving did not have to be as deep as usually specified. The second system for the Technical Information Library was based on normal-depth shelving, but specified a fully adjustable shelving system to accommodate their material of various sizes. Other specifications included optimum use of shelving space, electrically driven, multiple aisle capability, integrated aisle lighting, and full safety features.
Two electrical mobile systems were supplied. Fast, easy access to stored materials is achieved with the push of a button mounted on the face of each carriage. The clerk's work is further enhanced by the use of economical aisle lighting that activates when the specified carriage is opened. Multi-access aisles are achieved by the use of the solid state programmable aisle feature. Safety sweeps are also mounted on the carriages. When the sweep comes in contact with any object in the aisle, the system immediately deactivates and stops moving. Security has also been enhanced by compressing file storage space and adding mechanical locks to the carriages housing more sensitive materials. Lastly, a highly adjustable shelving system is used to store materials.
The benefits to the oil company were almost immediate. Not only were their working conditions improved, but their file and retrieval times were also dramatically reduced. Cost per square foot versus filing inches was also reduced. Existing floor space was recovered and provided more work space for employees. The staff is now more efficient and comfortable working within the system due to its safety features. Costs have also been controlled when equated to maximum storage versus floor space used.
contact us for Electrical Mobile Storage Systems
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for electrical mobile storage systems to store well logs, files, and more for oil companies and a wide variety of other businesses and departments. SSG will also provide you with a free consultation to determine your exact space and storage needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.
View Image Gallery
- Artifacts Storage High Density Compact Artifacts Storage High Density Compact
- Bankers Box Powered HighDensity Storage Bankers Box Powered HighDensity Storage
- Bike Storage High Density Compact Bike Storage High Density Compact
- Compact Shelving High Density Football Compact Shelving High Density Football
- Evidence Storage High Density Compact Evidence Storage High Density Compact
- File Storage High Density Compact File Storage High Density Compact
- Firearms Storage High Density Compact Firearms Storage High Density Compact
- Football Helmet Locker Room High Football Helmet Locker Room High
- GiftShop Secure Storage Compact Shelving GiftShop Secure Storage Compact Shelving
- Hand Crank High Density Storage Hand Crank High Density Storage
- Hand Crank Push Button Storage Hand Crank Push Button Storage
- Hand Crank High Density Compact Hand Crank High Density Compact
- Hand Crank High Density File Hand Crank High Density File
- High Density Compact Shelving Golf High Density Compact Shelving Golf
- High Density Hand Crank File High Density Hand Crank File
- High Density Hand Crank Shelving High Density Hand Crank Shelving
- High Density Storage Powered Hand High Density Storage Powered Hand
- High Density Storage Powered Push High Density Storage Powered Push
- Military Weapons Storage High Density Military Weapons Storage High Density
- Motorcycle Storage Industrial High Density Motorcycle Storage Industrial High Density
- Office Filing Compact Storage High Office Filing Compact Storage High
- Powered Hand Crank High Density Powered Hand Crank High Density
- Powered Hand Crank Storage Safety Powered Hand Crank Storage Safety
- Powered High Density Storage Push Powered High Density Storage Push
- Powered High Density Storage Shelving Powered High Density Storage Shelving
- Push Button High Density Storage Push Button High Density Storage
- Push Button Powered Storage Push Button Powered Storage
- Safety Lock Hand Crank High Safety Lock Hand Crank High
- Safety Sensors High Density Storage Safety Sensors High Density Storage
- Spacesaver High Density Compact Shelving Spacesaver High Density Compact Shelving
- Textile Storage High Density Compact Textile Storage High Density Compact
- Tools Storage High Density Compact Tools Storage High Density Compact