electronic document management for healthcare
Electronic document management has the potential to revolutionize and enhance information management in the unique challenges of the healthcare industry. There are many benefits of electronic health records (EHR) systems for healthcare facilities including improved efficiency, reduced labor costs, increased HIPPA compliance levels, and eliminated need for storage sites and paper files that take up time and space. With the continuously evolving climate of information retrieval and exchange, paper is quickly becoming inefficient and wasteful compared to digital information.
more healthcare facilities are transitioning to EHR systems
Especially with the 2014 mandate that requires a national electronic medical records database, more and more healthcare facilities are moving to EHR systems. A more detailed description of the benefits of electronic health records systems includes:
- Streamlined workflows: EHR systems reduce or eliminate the need for bulky filing systems that are time consuming and expensive to maintain. Paper files in these types of systems are often poorly organized, difficult to retrieve, and can easily be misplaced, which leaves you at risk for noncompliance with HIPPA.
- Increased efficiency: Electronic health records systems combine with electronic document management systems to offer hi-tech scanning and data solutions that can be tracked online for enhanced security and fast information retrieval.
- Improved communications: EHR systems allow authorized users to access patient information from any workstation within the network, allowing physicians to provide consultation and diagnoses in minutes.
- Enhanced security: Instead of leaving important documents and patient files unguarded before it has been placed back into storage, digital files are easily safeguarded at any time because of the security features built in with electronic health records systems. Accountability is increased with time stamps with the identity of the user on all documents. EHR systems also have document management capabilities that release only the minimum amount of patient protected health information necessary to answer a query.
- Ease of management: Once the EHR system is established, retrieval means simply entering the file number into the system and the information is instantly delivered. Once viewed, the documents are quickly and easily returned to the database. This eliminates the process of physically searching for and returning a paper file.
- Lowered information management costs: Paper file storerooms require significant costs to maintain and keep secure. Electronic health records systems can eliminate or reduce these costs from your budget.
The question left is how to actually go about digitizing these documents. You could have your personnel scan and digitize them, but this requires time and money for training, managing, buying equipment and software, and leaves room for error and HIPPA noncompliance.
contact us for Electronic Health Records EHR Systems for Healthcare Facilities
Southwest Solutions Group® provides scanning and implementation services to healthcare facilities who are interested in experiencing the benefits of electronic health records systems. SSG offers both on and off-site scanning in a secure facility with a completely HIPPA and CJIS compliant staff, so you don't have to slow down your workflow while we scan your documents for you. We will even scan, index, and upload a box of your records for free so you can try before you buy. For more information or to speak with a healthcare information management specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.