Library Uses Compact Mobile Bookstacks
A university built a new building for their law library. While the building was new, the footprint was still very small. To make the best use of their limited space, the law library incorporated compact mobile bookstacks. The compact mobile bookstacks allowed the law library to store all of their collection in the new building, have extra space for study areas, and keep the collection centralized.
Why the Law Library Needed A Better Storage Solution
The university’s law library offers more than 500,000 volumes, making it one of the biggest in the country. As the law school and library expanded over the years, it outgrew its previous space on campus, which is why the new building was constructed.
And although the building is new, it is not tremendously large, making compact mobile bookstacks the right choice for storage. Because without the mobile bookstacks, the law library would have needed to discard more than 40 percent of their collection or pay to store it off-site.
How the Compact Mobile Bookstacks Improved Collection Storage
The compact mobile bookstacks are located throughout the third through-six-floor stack areas and house more than 80 percent of the law library’s collection. The mobile bookstacks feature elegant custom wood end panels, designed to match the rich interior features and furnishings of the library.
Using the compact mobile bookstacks ensured there was ample room remaining for comfortable seating, study spaces, a reading room, study tables, and a computer room. Also, because control over the collection was important to library administrators, the compact bookstacks allowed them to contain the collection in a defined and monitored area.
Safety is never a concern in the bookstacks, despite the 1,100 students accessing materials 17 hours a day, seven days a week. The system’s innovative safety system provides completely passive safety, requiring no active involvement from students for the system to detect when someone is in the aisle and prevent any carriage movement. The safety system also senses material on the aisle floor and stops carriage movement to avoid materials damage.
Contact Us for Compact Mobile Bookstacks for Your Law Library
Southwest Solutions Group® offers design and installation services for compact mobile bookstacks to maximize space in your law library. SSG will even provide a free consultation to determine your exact needs before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.
View Image Gallery
- book shelving divider library storage book shelving divider library storage
- book stacks library shelving storage book stacks library shelving storage
- end panels shelving library book end panels shelving library book
- laminate end panels media shelving laminate end panels media shelving
- library book shelves dividers reference library book shelves dividers reference
- library book stacks shelving shelves library book stacks shelving shelves
- media drawers dvd shelving reference media drawers dvd shelving reference
- periodical tilt shelving display library periodical tilt shelving display library
- reference library shelving book storage reference library shelving book storage
- reference library storage book perioidcal reference library storage book perioidcal
- school reference library stores book school reference library stores book
- tilit shelving library storage display tilit shelving library storage display
- tilt shelf library periodical display tilt shelf library periodical display